Posted by Dave Hinger – Director – Teaching Centre
On March 4th 2013, the Centre for the Advancement of Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CAETL) as well as the Curriculum Re-Development Centre (CRDC) will merge to become the University of Lethbridge Teaching Centre. CAETL and CRDC have been critical to the U of L’s commitment to excellence in teaching and learning in both our undergraduate and graduate programs. The combination of CRDC and CAETL into a single Teaching Centre department will meet the growing teaching development needs of the University, and supports our U of L Strategic and Academic Plans.
Through its commitment to scholarship, research, and best practice in teaching and learning, the Teaching Centre will promote and enhance the professional development of university level instructors. The Teaching Centre will also advance creativity, originality, and discovery in teaching. A commitment to excellence in teaching will ensure that, in a rapidly changing educational environment, the U of L will provide outstanding learning experiences for its students and faculty that are founded on the principles:
- Teaching and learning are fundamental to the purpose of the university, and the university community is committed to excellence in teaching.
- All students must be provided opportunities to learn in ways consistent with most effective instructional practices.
- Effective university teaching can be defined, learned, demonstrated, and continually enhanced.
- Scholarly inquiry is fundamental to the enhancement of teaching effectiveness.
- Teaching development is most likely to occur in a collaborative community characterized by trust and mutual respect.
Teaching Centre Goals:
- Foster a culture of excellence in teaching and learning inside and outside the classroom.
- Coordinate and facilitate professional development opportunities for the teaching community.
- Develop, identify, and support innovative teaching practices.
- Deepen the University’s commitment to a scholarship of teaching and learning.
- Investigate innovative educational practices, strategies, technologies and processes.
To Learn more about the Teaching Centre and how we can support your teaching, we invite you to explore our website (www.uleth.ca/teachingcentre) or visit our offices on the top floor of the Library L1126.