gender and minority representation
• Students will explore and assess the challenges faced by minorities and women pursuing science
• Current understanding of implicit bias, consequences of the imbalanced representations for
society and for the economy
• Methods to support appropriate gender and minority representation
• Work-life balance issues
Integrity & Ethics
• Conflicting ethical and/or professional obligations (e.g. whistle blowing)
• Scientific fraud and how to make better ethical decisions
• “Gain-of-function” research and its ethical assessment
• Ethical dimensions of potential therapies
• Written communication: emails, formal reports, reference letters, blogs, scientific publications and newspaper articles
• Communicating with diverse audiences, networking, communication with
supervisors and senior administrators, and the public.
• Preparing letters, newspaper articles, and presentations to children and youth.