ASTeRIX invites expressions of interest for a three-year appointment beginning July 1, 2022 as the Director or Co-Directors of ASTeRIX, a Faculty of Fine Arts Research Centre. ASTeRIX supports the research and creation of objects, narratives, and experiences that investigate intersections in the arts. Through transdisciplinary conversations and collaborations, we aim to generate dialogues around pressing concerns of our time and rethink what is possible.
Responsibilities of the Director/Co-Directors include the day-to-day management and operations of the research centre, coordinating the ASTeRIX Steering Committee and Graduate Assistants, and liaising with the ASTeRIX Membership. The Director(s) may also represent the centre at national and international events (conferences, exhibitions, workshops, performances, maker conventions). A formal report on centre activities and development is provided by the Director/Co-Directors to the ASTeRIX Steering Committee, the Dean of Fine Arts, the Vice-President Research, and to the four departmental Chairs of the Faculty of Fine Arts annually. Duties in the areas of Research and Administrative Leadership are described briefly as follows:
1) Contributing to ASTeRIX’s performance as a vibrant hub of exploration, including spearheading and supporting programming initiatives, managing centre assets, identifying the potential for infrastructure growth;
2) Supporting and advising ASTeRIX Membership;
3) Building ASTeRIX’s reputation as a significant contributor to the academic and artistic landscapes through collaborations with both university partners and external communities, industries, and organisations; and
4) Pursuing funding sources in support of ASTeRIX’s activities in accordance with the University of Lethbridge Centres and Institutes Policy.
The following qualities are required. Prior experience with the ASTeRIX Steering Committee is considered an asset.
● Exhibiting a history of, or demonstrable interest in, expanding artistic practices in the Fine Arts through the lens of transdisciplinary research-creation
● Holding a tenured, tenure-track, or Instructor III position in the Faculty of Fine Arts
● Demonstrating an ability to articulate the centre’s on-going research-creation directions, objectives, and outcomes for the duration of the appointment
Interested individuals should submit a CV and a one-page expression of interest that addresses a vision for both the development of ASTeRIX and a plan for Research or Administrative Leadership (see Centres and Institutes Policy, Appendix C). For individuals considering co-directorship, submit an expression of interest independently or conjointly. Expressions submitted conjointly should come from two individuals who intend to work together as co-directors.
Submit to the ASTeRIX Steering Committee at Asterix2423@uleth.onmicrosoft.com
 Reviewing the University of Lethbridge Centres and Institutes Policy regarding the role and responsibilities of the Director position is recommended, including specific expectations for Research and Administrative Leadership as described in Appendix C.