So this weekend was the 3rd Annual High River Fire Department (HRFD) Gala. My friend is a volunteer firefighter, and has been for the past three years, so I went with him and his family to support the HRFD!
Did you know…
- Every time you leave the city limits, you’re in the hands of a volunteer firefighter.
- Volunteer firefighters respond to everything from industrial fires, vehicle collisions, medical first responses and cats stuck in trees.
- Firefighters are often the first to arrive and the last to leave.
- Across Canada, there are 127,000 volunteer firefighters.
- 80% of Canadian soil is protected by volunteer firefighters.
- Approximately 3,500 of Canada’s 4000 fire departments are volunteers.
These men and women volunteer their time and even put their lives on the line to protect their communities. I know my buddy goes to training every Tuesday night, and takes on minimum three shifts every week. These shifts mean he’s on call from 6pm – 6am and carries his pager with him at all times.
The Gala was amazing! It was so great to see the entire Fire Department out and dressed to the nines. The HRFD BetterHalves Society outdid themselves, and the Set the Night on Fire Gala was gorgeously done. I had tons of fun with my friend’s family and came away with a new appreciation for volunteer firefighters!!